Thursday, October 29, 2015

Ignorant Spouse, the Danger you Can't Afford

   A common thing I see in my practice, whether it be bankruptcy, divorce or probate work, is spouses who remain blissfully ignorant of their family finances.  Often, in a marriage one spouse takes charge of the money.  Usually the excuse is that he or she is better with money.  Here's the deal, if you're not good with money, become good with money.  It's imperative to know how much money comes in, and how much goes out, where the accounts are, when bills are due and to whom.
   I hear it so often, "I don't know how much my husband makes per year;" "I just hand my wife my paycheck, and she takes care of the bills, I
don't know how much we spend on food or taxes."  I could go on with a litany of scenarios where one spouse seems perfectly content to being in the dark.   Ultimately, you could find yourself sitting in the dark, because your electric service has been turned off, because the bill wasn't paid.  You realize that your spouse has been spending money set aside for household bills, on gambling, drugs, excessive spending, or a paramour.  Or you spouse dies suddenly, and you find yourself not only grieving, but completely unable to grasp your finances going forward without him or her.
  If you don't know how to balance a check book, learn, sit down with your spouse and make a budget, review your taxes yearly, sit with your tax preparer or accountant, become educated in your financial circumstances.  If you need to take a class, or sit down with a customer service agent at the bank, do it.  If you have the funds, hire a financial or business manager, who can give you a snapshot of your financial health at any time.
   Finally, if you meet with resistance from your spouse when you bring up the topic of money and household finances, push back, and don't take "no" for an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment